Monica Thayer was clearing out a machine she was operating during her fifth day of working the night shift at JR Engineering in Barberton on July 2, 2012. Her hair became caught in a machine, ripping her scalp from her head and sending her to the intensive care unit at Akron General Medical Center, the Akron Beacon Journal reported on July 4, 2012. “It was that serious,” her mother, Mary Thayer, told the Journal. “It literally tore the entire scalp off her head.”
According to the Journal, Mary has worked at the same company for about 25 years and operated the same machine. Mary told the Journal that her 25-year-old daughter was “initially elated when she started working the night shift” at the automotive parts company. The Journal said surgeons reattached 75 percent of Monica’s scalp, but the remaining 25 percent was “too mangled and more plastic surgery is expected in the future.”
While Mary told the Journal that her daughter “just thinks she lost some hair” and is not entirely aware of the extent of her injuries, spokeswoman Brigitte Frank told the Journal that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in Cleveland has begun an investigation. Many people throughout Ohio have jobs that can involve dangerous work conditions, but employers are required to keep these employees as safe as possible. Industrial accidents such as this one can be the result of employer or corporate negligence.
If you or a loved one has sustained serious injuries as a result of work-related accident, contact our firm today to schedule an initial free consultation and let our Cincinnati injury lawyers see what other forms of compensation you may be entitled to.