Collisions between passenger vehicles and commercial trucks can happen in an instant. The best protection against a car/truck accidents to drive prudently and avoid putting yourself and your passengers in danger. Being alert and avoiding specific situations will decrease your chances of becoming collateral damage in a commercial truck accident. In the event of a truck and car crash, the legal team at The Moore Law Firm will fight diligently to protect victims’ interests and obtain the full compensation they deserve.
Tips for Sharing the Road with Commercial Trucks
- Avoid Abrupt Stops. If you are on the highway, understand that commercial trucks will take much longer to slow down and brake than a passenger automobile. Never abruptly stop with a truck right behind you.
- Change Lanes Safely. Since the truck cannot brake as quickly as a car, do not cut off a truck on the highway or change lanes without warning. If you are passing a truck, make sure you are well ahead of the truck before moving back into its lane. Vehicles in the passing lane must allow several car lengths before changing lanes in front of a truck.
- Check for Mirrors. If you cannot see a truck driver in his side-mirror, he cannot see you, either. Do not drive in a truck’s blind spots – do not drive close behind trucks or near the end of the trailer.
- Pass Trucks with Caution. A truck on the highway is going to cause cross-winds, and this wind can actually run a car off the road. Never speed to pass a commercial truck, and be extremely cautious during inclement weather or on slippery roads.
- Never Tailgate a Truck. Besides the potential for sudden truck braking and a resulting in an undercarriage collision, the area directly behind the truck is another blind spot.
- Know the No Zone. Never drive in a truck’s “No Zone.” This is the term for the area directly behind the truck cab next to the cargo trailer. This is a blind spot for commercial trucks and automobiles should only be in the No Zone briefly when passing a truck on the left.
You Need Solid Representation to Protect Your Rights
Even if you do everything possible to avoid a car/truck accident, you may become involved in a collision through no fault of your own. When trucks cause catastrophic car accidents, not only is the injured person affected, but the victim’s entire family can suffer devastating losses. From the moment of the accident, the trucking industry and their insurance companies work against victims to minimize their liabilities and protect their financial interests. While they have teams of defense attorneys working for them, you can have The Moore Law Firm working for you.
Former insurance claims adjuster and Cincinnati injury lawyer Donald C. Moore, Jr. has been standing up against the trucking industry and car insurance companies to represent injured motorists for over 50 years.
If you have been a victim of a truck accident, our Cincinnati accident attorneys are ready to serve you and to discuss your situation and the legal options available to you. Schedule your initial consultation today!
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one as a result of another person's negligence, you deserve to be fully compensated for your losses. The simple fact is that you should not be forced to pay the price for another person's careless or reckless actions.